Day 57 #1
- Review writing what titles are about within a group in two to three sentences.
Since most people belong to certain groups, titles help people differentiate from others.
For example, the father of a family, job titles like an engineer, and ranks within military clearly represent the status and roles within the respective group. (39 words)
- Read aloud by Section to learn words/expressions #1
[Intro, Par. 1-3] L3 career [kəˈrɪər] the job or series of jobs that you do during your working life: a ~ in the police force/as a police officer. develop ones ~, prospective ~, ~ goal L4 was to blame L5 450-pound (lb/lbs) 453gm; half/quarter ~ steak
L7 ambiguous=> Corpus/p.56 ; uncertain, vague, unclear
L13 crew: the entire ~ of the ship, a ~ member L14 physician a medical doctor, esp. one who is not a surgeon
L20 an integral part of [ˈɪn.t̬ə.ɡrəl] [ɪnˈteɡ·rəl] necessary and important as a part of a whole, or contained within it: necessary, required: He's ~ the team. Dining is an ~ the trip to China.
L24 define to say what the meaning of sth/a word is: "Reality" is defined as ~ in the dictionary -> definition
L24 status [ˈsteɪ·t̬əs/ˈstæt̬·əs] - an accepted or official position, especially in a social group: refugee/legal ~
- the amount of respect, admiration, or importance given to a person, organization, or object: celebrity/high/low ~,
L24 context of - the situation within which something exists or happens, and that can help explain it: in historical ~, in the ~ of Scottish history. - the text or speech that comes immediately before and after a particular phrase or piece of text and helps to explain its meaning L26 whereby=> Corpus/p.57
L26 address (v) to speak/write to sb, or to direct information to sb: The First Lady ~ed the meeting briefly.
L30 affectionately <-affection a feeling of liking for a person/place: feel a deep/no affection for sb.
Unit 10 More Than a Game
- Read-> Shadowing w/
- Vocabulary: (par.1) pandemic, (epidemic), outbreak <=in an online world, an outbreak of a virus could become a pandemic instantly. (par.2) imaginary world: virtual (par.4) quarantine [kwɔrəntin/kwɔrəntin] a strict isolation imposed to prevent the spread of disease.
- Vocabulary Skill: Collocations-> A. => a sentence for each verb+preposition.
- Grammar: Adverbs of Manner and Degree
- Adverbs of Manner -> A: Check the position/order of the verb/aux.verb and adverb.
- Adverbs of Degree -> Tip for Success/p.202: very/really are useful but too general. Use more specific adv.
-> B: Complete the sentences
=> What sport do you play? What musical instrument do you play?
Answer the question with an example and adverb of manner, degree and/or frequency.
Epidemics and Pandemics (2:15)