Unit 8 Reading 2 Not Like Other Kids #1
- Before Reading-3
- Skim the text: Title, subheadings 1~5, Par.4: Experts => what this article is about in one sen.
This article is to give parents of child prodigies five pieces of advice on how to deal with their extraordinary children.
- Identify what each question of Reading Comprehension is asking about.
- Read-> Reading Comprehension
5. (L90) let alone the first thing is NOT true/possible, the next thing cannot be true/possible either: There isn’t enough room for the family, let alone any guests. Brian never even reads a newspaper, let alone a book.
- Reading Skill: Recognizing Comparison and Contrast => Review p.116-117 -> Apply
=> about someone you know and you using a word of comparison and contrast with examples
- Review a Skill: Making Inferences=> Explain why Karl Sr. says, laughing tiredly(L26) in 3 sentences.
C6 Social Studies #1 Lecture about Working Hours in the US and Europe
- Review Listening w/Transcript -> Voc: bargain (v), benefit (n), prosper-prosperous
- Focus on the Listening Skill/p.48: Identifying Organizing Phrases - look at, describe, point out, compare
- Vocabulary/p.49-50: self-employed, freelance, time off, benefits, job security, lay off/fire
=> Explain what kind of job or life style you’d like to have and why.
Unit 6 Writing #1
- Review writing: your response in five to eight sentences
☆ Very well explained and written with examples: Sae, Kaede, Tatsuya ad>ads (pl)
No one mentioned any price =>
- Grammar: Compound Sentences - and, or, but, so A. -> B.
- Writing Skill Opinion Writing: Writing a letter to the editor, composed of multiple paragraphs.
A. Read and Mark the Margins. -> B. Organize the outline.
- Plan to Write a letter to the editor/p.129. “Does advertising help or harm us”
- Read and Study the example letter “Concerns with Online Advertising”
=> the supporting points
- Review Reading 1, 2=> Decide which opinion do you write about.
Introduction (2~3 sentences), Body-1 (3~5), Body-2 (3~5), Concluding paragraph (2~3)
=> a letter to an editor to answer the question, “Does advertising help or harm us?” in four paragraphs (10~16 sentences, 150~250 words) by Nov.26th
Studying vs. Learning: Kikutan-Day 53
Just as there is a big difference between hearing and listening, there is a big difference between studying and learning. Hearing is what your ears do. Listening is what your brain does.
With today’s technology, information is easy to find if you just search for it. Of course, it is important to develop your memory, but when you learn, you develop the ability to confirm and explain your knowledge and understanding.
This is also important for learning new languages. You can memorize vocabulary, but if you can’t make a sentence, you can’t communicate. Through learning, you develop your own original thoughts.
Indeed, there is a limit to how much you can remember, but there is no limit how much you can learn.
- Listen => the main idea.
- Listen => the difference between Hearing and Listening
- Read => the difference between Studying and Learning.
=> what Learning is compared with Studying in four to five sentences.