Day 48 #1
Unit 2 Medicine Reading-1 The Battle against Malaria #1
- Sub-Saharan Africa -> Read the definition, See the political and geographical maps
- malaria [məˈleər·i·ə] is a mosquito-borne disease caused by a parasite. People with malaria often experience fever, chills, and flu-like illness. Left untreated, they may develop severe complications and die. In 2016 an estimated 216 million cases of malaria occurred worldwide and 445,000 people died, mostly children in the African Region. The vast majority of cases in the United States are in travelers and immigrants returning from countries where malaria transmission occurs, many from sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- parasite [ˈpær·əˌsɑɪt] an animal/plant that lives on/in another animal/plant of a different type and feeds from it.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) A US agency to protect public health and safety through the control and prevention of disease, injury, and disability.
- Review a Skill -> Preview the text: title, subheadings, images, captions=> Predict the Topic
-> Reading Skill: Finding the Main Idea-> Learn -> Apply
- Reading Comprehension: Underline/Mark the key words to look for.
-> Read T/F, Mark the line #, Correct false statements.=> Check the Answers
Unit 9 Numbers Reading 1: Cultural Differences in Counting, a science report
- Reading Skill: Making inferences
infer to reach an opinion or decide sth is true based on the information available; deduce, conclude, guess
-> [A] -> [B] -> [C] => to check the answers-> Reading Skills - Extra Task: Monkey Math