Inside Reading Unit 6 Reading-2 Summer Fun under Scrutiny
- Review Blog Are the New York regulations for ride operators to be *at least 18 years old necessary?
- Study Words/Expressions/Grammar
(P1-L15) glance (v) ~ at (n) a quick look: take/have a ~ at sth (L17) freak (adj) very unusual, unexpected; a ~ accident/occurrence/weather conditions (v) become upset, go mad; freak out to enter into or cause a period of irrational behavior or emotional instability: Seeing the dead body ~ ed him out. -> freaking (adj) (adv) intensifier; damn; the ~ man, It’s ~ weird. (P3-L28) regulate - to control sth by rules; manage, organize, control, standardize: ~ household expenses, the temperature -> read and follow the safety regulations - ~ sth to control the speed, pressure, time-> regulator (L33) conduct an investigation (L37) shins front part of the leg below the knee (P4-L45) implement new practices - way of doing sth; common/standard/ ~, action rather than ideas; theory and ~, put into ~ (L47) retain to keep or continue to have something: ~ control (L49) safety procedures process, system to accomplish sth (L59) Dic adhere to stick firmly to sth -> adhere to: to behave according to a particular law/rule/regulation/instructions; comply, observe, follow, keep;~ a low-salt diet, ~ teaching method -> adhesive (n) a substance to make things stick together.
(P6-L75) dizzying – dizzy feeling as if everything is spinning around; feel ~ (P7-L92) exotic strikingly different/colorful, ~ flowers/birds/locations (P7-L100) engineering feats <- feat action/work that needs skill, strength, courage; achievement/accomplishment/performance; ~ of engineering, perform/achieve astonishing ~s, That was no mean ~. (L104) Linear Induction Motor a motor designed to directly produce motion in a straight line. (P8-L119) acceleration and deceleration
(P9-L123~125) Yet doctors will continue to issue warnings, as will riders who have experienced injury firsthand.
yet (conj) though; still; nevertheless: It is good, ~ it could be improved.
will be willing, expected/supposed, determined, accustomed, inclined to do: People ~ do right.
as (conj) at the same time that; while; when: you ~ look away.
(L125) firsthand (adj/adv) from the original source or personal experience; direct - at first hand directly, from personal experience -> secondhand; obtained from others/books; indirect - used
(L129) eardrum blasting pressure (L137) wallop heavy hit (P10-L148) pulse-pumping rides (L150) wrapping around the corner to cover, to put sth around sth/sb; ~ a blanket around the baby
Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
- A. 3. conventional
- B. Discuss which of these tasks have been automated.
=> ☆Integ. Speech: Speak your opinion which of these tasks will be or should be automated in the future and why in 60 seconds. => Q&A
- D. (1) ask for, taking them to court. (6) on a regular basis, up to date
(7) credit A with B: to believe that sb/sth has a particular good quality/feature
Vocabulary Activities-Sentence Level
- E. What regulation do you think should be set and enforced when people ride bicycles and why?
=> ☆Ind. Speech: Speak your answer in 60 seconds.
- Writing and Discussion Topics/p.96-1. => ☆Ind. Speech: Speak your answer in 60 seconds.
Open Forum-2 Personal Interviews about the survey results on quality of life
- Preparing to Listening Speak What do you enjoy doing the most? Answer in 60 sec.
- Lis [Julia/Leo]-> Main Idea, Details => Pair Explain what each person likes doing.
- Lis [Annie/Robert]-> Main Idea, Details => Pair Explain what each person likes doing.
- Thinking and Speaking
Speak whose response do you feel the same way the most and why in 60 sec.
Interest Blog Algeria turns off the internet for exams
=> Do you think a nation should blackout the Internet nationwide for school exams?
Speak your answer in 60 sec.