Inside Reading Unit 6 The Physics of Fun Reading-1 A Whale of a Wheel
- Study Words/Expressions/Grammar
(P1-L4) glamorous; attractive, elegant, fashionable, fascinating; ~ actor/job (adj) – glamor/glamour (BrE)
Dic (L5) surpass greater than in degree/extent, superior to in excellence/achievement; beat, exceed, outperform: ~ the record/expectations (P2-L11) grand impressive in size/appearance/general effect: ~ scenery/house/occasion highly ambitious or idealistic: ~ ideas/design (L14) taper (tapering) to become gradually narrow; decrease, recede
(L15) daring; adventurous, courageous, fearless; ~ spacewalk, more/less ~ activity -> dare (v) take a risk, challenge; I wouldn’t ~ to say it. (P3-L26) rough draft a drawing/sketch/design, a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision (L27) outrageous very bad, beyond reasonable limit; crazy, shocking, offending; ~ behavior/clothes (P5-L35) distort to change the shape/appearance/sound (not in positive way); ~ the shape/voice, misinform/alter/falsify; ~ the truth/fact/image – distortion (L35) beam long pieces of metal/wood/stone used as support, ray of light, smile broadly
(L49) tower over/above to be much higher/taller/better than others: The cliff/mountain/boy/dancer ~ than other … (v) (P7-L64) rigid; hard/solid/stiff/strict/stern/fixed/inflexible <-> (L64) elasticity; flexibility/resilience/adaptability
(L66) appreciable easily noticeable; recognizable/measurable/detectable; ~ difference/change/difference,
substantial/considerable; ~ effect/increase/amount (L67) tremble (v) shake/vibrate (L77) axle a rod that connects a pair of wheels (of a vehicle; the front/rear ~)
(L94) sprocket (chainwheel) a toothed wheel engaging with a conveyor or power chain; gear
Dic (L101) regulate control/adjust by a rule/principle; manage/organize/control; ~ expenses/temperature/a clock
Dic (P11-L104) give credit for; praise/approval; I can’t take all the ~ for the success because it was a team effort. I gave him ~ for trying. C~ was given for good spelling. (L105) marvel a wonderful/surprising person/thing; wonder, miracle; the ~s of nature/technology (P12-L123) dazzle to overpower/dim the vision of by intense light; He was ~d by the sudden sunlight. to impress deeply; astonish with delight: The glorious palace dazzled him.
Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
- A. elastic (rubber material that can stretch and resume normal shape),
(2) revise to change opinion/plan/book/document to correct/improve; ~d estimate/edition/draft ->revision
(7) deserve credit for (n) (praise) approval; give/take ~ for
- (money) buy now pay later, money borrowed, money in bank, money back <-> debit (card)
<- deserve be entitled to, be qualified for: ~ a rest/praise/mention, ~ to win/be awarded
- C. Choose five activities you think should be regulated and prioritize them in 1~5
=> Ind. Speech Speak your opinion as to which activity you think should be regulated by the government more than the others in 60 seconds. => Q&A
Vocabulary Activities-Sentence Level
- D. -> Read aloud=> Pair Read aloud by turns=> Switch the turn
- Corpus Dic distort to change the shape/appearance/sound to be not clear; The loud speaker ~ed his voice.
-to twist/change facts/ideas to be incorrect: give a ~ed picture/view of sth - distortion of the truth/fact
Open Forum-2 Chapter 1 #2 Interview w/an expert on planning public parks
- Introduction: Show images of some usual and well-planned parks;
Central Park, Boston Common, Balboa Park in San Diego, the Lakefront in Chicago
Hyde Park in London, Showa Kinen Park in Tachikawa, Hibiya Park
- Prepare to Listen Describe a public park you like, what it offers and how people enjoy it in 60 sec.
- Listen-1-> Main Ideas, What are the features of good parks?
- Listen-2 for More Details=> Speak a summary of the interview on planning public parks. Describe the main principle and key features of good parks.