Inside Reading Unit 6 The Physics of Fun Reading-1 A Whale of a Wheel
<= a whale of : an unusually good or large sth; had ~ a time, did ~ a job
- Before Reading-1: the photo/p.82: The Ferris wheel-> Describe the Ferris wheel you enjoyed the most.
- Before Reading-2: Discuss the historical background and situation of the World Fair in Paris in 1889 and Chicago Words Fair in 1893. (Industrial revolution, Europe, US, Asia, Japan)
World Map 1890 Eiffel Tower-1889 Ferris Wheel-1893 Tokyo-1894
- Review a Skill: Skimming and Making Predictions Task-1
=> Skim the text and write the main idea of the text in one sentence in the textbook
The Ferris wheel, which was created for the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893, was a great success in engineering and entertainment then and still is an attraction even today.
Open Forum Chapter 12 2. Radio Call-in Program about Legal Questions
- 3rd Lis w/Script Blog
[A] Describe Patty’s problem and the legal expert’s advice in the third person speech
[B] Describe Andrew’s problem and the legal expert’s advice in the third person speech
=> What do you think? Discuss with a partner what you think about the liability issues in the U.S.?
-> Vocabulary and Expressions
- legally obligated, be obliged to
- Pronunciation; Intonation with Wh- Questions
- Speaking Skills: Rephrasing to Check Understanding
- Speaking Practice: Read the situations aloud-> Read the legal information aloud.
=> Explain What you would do if you were the person Situation 3 who injured an arm and couldn’t go to school for two weeks and missed an important event such as an exam or a sport competition.
Interest: One migrant's struggle (3:24)
=> Speak If you were born in a remote village and couldn’t find a job to support your family, what would you do?