Inside Reading Unit 5 Reading-1 The Dartfish Olympics, BBC Sport Uses Stromotion Technique
- Read Part-1, 2-> Reading Comprehension Note the line numbers where the answers are written.
- Study Words/Expressions/Grammar-1: Part-1 The Dartfish Olympics
(L4) fluid (adj) adaptable, flexible, smooth, shifting, changing rapidly; ~ movements/design/music (n/adj) liquid (L10) display (v) ; show, exhibit, demonstrate, present (L10) footage a motion-picture scene or scenes: newsreel ~, jungle ~ (L11) Dic sequence (n) a set of events/actions/numbers in a successive order; in alphabetical ~, ~ of events, in/out of ~ -> sequential; ~ data processing, -> sequel <-> prequel (L13) pole vault (jump) (L17) “I used it until smoke came out of the machine.” (L24) burned onto a CD
(L42) this => (L39~41) It reminds me of ~ real-world sports. (L47) demerit<-> merit (L51) Dic plunge (v) throw (sth, oneself); drop, throw, : they ~d into the sea - to descend very suddenly or steeply; dive, sink, descend : ~ 100 meters, stock market ~d. (n) ~ in profit (L57) this <= Par.7, 8 (L63) envision: predict, foresee, anticipate, visualize (L66) stream: to transfer or transmit data in a steady and continuous stream: ~ing video/music
- Part-2 BBC Sport Uses StroMotion Technique
(L5) stunning; extremely attractive/beautiful: ~ woman, look ~ing, extremely surprising; ~ defeat, loss
- Dic stun : to deprive of consciousness/strength by or as if by a blow; The blow ~ him, to astonish; astound; amaze; ~ned the audience, I was ~ned, sth ~ned me. ~ gun,
(L10~ 13) such as the line of ~ unfold before ~ frame-by-frame sequence. -> unfold ; spread, reveal, develop: ~ your arms. <- fold; bend, curl, enclose, wrap; ~ed or hung -fold multiple: ten~/three~, (L14) stroboscope
(L14) Dic a means: the medium/method/instrument used to obtain a result: a means of communication
(L16) static image: motionless, fixed <-> dynamic: changing, active (L17) trajectory: course, path
(L23) Dic maneuver [nu:] - a movement performed with care/skill, movement, action; a complicated/skillful ~
- a clear plan/action/movement to take an advantage, tactic, tric; political/diplomatic ~
(L24) inclination <-incline Dic tend to think/behave in a particular way, tend toward; ~ to think/view - lean in a particular direction, bend, lean <-> decline, recline
(L27) applied to Dic apply - to make a formal request; ~ for a job/passport, ~ to a company/college - to use; ~ sanction/pressure/technology - to put on; ~ paint/cream (L27) gravity-extreme sports (L34) patent protected (L41) terrain: landscape, territory; mountainous ~ (L53) visualize
(L58) tiny flaws made ~ off the medal stand -> Dic flaw [flo:] mistake, a crack/fault in sth; a fatal/fundamental/tiny ~ <-> flawless
Open Forum Chapter 11 #1 Radio Program about the Fibonacci Sequence
- Lis #3 w/Script -> Vocabulary
- pinecone, seashell, knuckle - spiral
- It’s a series of numbers, and in the sequence, each number is the sum of the preceding two numbers.
- coincident happening at the same time; simultaneous, synchronous
-> coincidence: It was just (a) ~ . By (sheer) ~, … <= happen to be/do at the same time
-> coincide to take place at the same time: The centers of concentric circles coincide. Our vacations coincided.
- intrigue [ɪnˈtri:g] to make sb very interested; attract, delight, please : The idea ~d him. You’ve ~d me.
(n) [ɪnˈtrig/ˈɪn trig] political ~ -> intriguing; interesting, alluring, appealing, exciting
- precede to go/come/happen before sth/sb in order; go ahead of: The resignation was ~ed by speculation.
-> preceding: the years ~ the war, See the ~ chapter <-> succeeding
-> precedent [prɛsɪdənt] an example/instance used to justify later similar occurrences ; example, model, standard.: set/establish a new ~
->precedence the act of preceding or the condition of being precedent; priority: take ~ over the needs, in order of ~
- decimal based on tens/tenth: ~ point (小数点 ./US ,/UK) ~ scale/system（10進法） ~ fraction(小数)
- all the better used for saying that if something is true or possible, it will be even nicer; better, improved:
It’ll be so nice to see Ruth again, and if she can bring the children along, all the better. （ますます結構）
- Vocabulary-1, 2, 3 Adjectives with –ing and –ed Endings
fascinate, bore, confuse, exhaust, interest, intrigue, surprise, tire
=> Task Speak with the adjective with –ing and –ed ending, and the verb in 90 seconds.
1. Explain the school subject the most interesting/intriguing to you in 90 seconds.
2. Talk about an event/incident you were really surprised/excited about in 90 seconds.
=> Speak how important you think math is for everyday life in 60 sec. with an example