Target Words empirical [ɛmˈpɪr ɪ kəl] based on experiments, experience rather than theories or ideas; practical, experimental, hands-on, firsthand: ~ evidence/knowledge/research/study <-> theoretical
Before You Read Think and Talk A-2. Rank the factors=> Pair
More Words: - eradicate eliminate, destroy, abolish, get rid of, remove, extinguish - vaccine [vækˈsin]
- Preview: Check the title, Figure-1, 2, 3 (graphs, table) and their captions
- Read-1 Mark the Main Ideas-> Reading Comprehension Note the line # where the answer is found.
=>Blog Write what the main idea of the entire article is in three sentences
Open Forum Chapter 10 Conversation about the discovery of America
- Introduction: Greenland, Iceland, Newfoundland, the Bering Strait, (the Aztecs, Mayans, Incas)
- Preparing to Listen: Christopher Columbus, Leif Erikson, Zheng He
- colony: a country/land that is governed by people from another more powerful country.
-> colonial rule/ruler/ruling
<-> suzerain [ˈsuːzɚ.ɪn] The Hapsburgs were suzerains of the country.
- Listening-1 => Take memos about the discovery of America, especially who, when and how.
- Listening-2 => Listen by Part => Pair Speak the roles of each explorer by turns.
- Focus on the Listening Skill: Summarizing