☆What?: An article from Newsweek magazine about the rise of megacities
- Before You Read ☆ Ind. Speaking Describe the city you live in in 90 sec. How big is it? Is it a major city or one of the suburban communities surrounding a major city?
- Read-1 -> Reading Comprehension: T/F, Mark the location by line #, Correct false statements=> Pair
- Read-2 -> Reading Skill-A: Check the Main Ideas.
Open Forum Chapter 8 Social Studies
- Introducing the topic: Communities you belong to/involved in
At school; sports teams-> teammate, music/art/woodwork club-> ~ members, committee-> ~ members
=> Talk Which community are you involved in the most in your day-to-day life?
Do you think you’re managing your involvement in those communities or balancing your time well?
Listening Practice: Interview with a sociologist
- Before Listening - sociology-sociologist
- Lis-1: Main Ideas (Preparing to Listen), More Detail, Focus on the Listening Skill
- Lis-2 by part=> WS Answer the below questions
(1) How has Americans’ involvement in their communities changed from 1960?
(2) How much change in the membership in the PTA is mentioned in 1995 compared to 1950s?
(3) How much change in crime in a neighborhood could be seen if more people attend public meetings?
(4) What is the readership of newspaper among people at 40 and younger these days?
(5) How many people in 100 voted in 1900 and how many in the last presidential election?
(6) What did they use to do to socialize in the 1950s?
(7) What seems to influence the crime rate?
(8) Why do people with a lot of social connections in their communities tend to live longer?
(9) Why does the sociologist encourage people to volunteer more?
=> Ind. Speech Do you think that social connections in a community reduce crimes?