- Study “the ant” (in general or particular) vs. “ant” “an ant/ants” in line 10-50.
- Study Words/Expressions
- [Intro-L6] appendage [əpɛndɪdʒ] <-append -a subordinate part attached to something; an auxiliary part; addition. - any member of the body diverging from the axial trunk. [L8] sting-stung-stung ->stinger [P1-L14] initiated a full-scale invasion - to begin, set going, or originate, institute, introduce, launch: ~ a social reform/movement -> initiative an introductory act or step; leading action, drive, leadership: take the ~ in making friends.
[P2-L20] worked in the ants’ favor [L21] tramp (n)<- (v) to tread or walk with a firm, heavy, resounding step. [L22] thrive-thrived-thrived or throve-thriven to prosper, grow/develop vigorously; flourish, bloom, succeed: The children ~d in the country. New businesses ~ in the city. [P1-L22] habitat; residence, nest, dwelling habitant; resident, inhabit; take up residence in, settle, locate, reside -> inhabitant; colonist, settler [P4-L41] arches its body curve, bridge, hook [L45] immediate burning sensation [L47] develops a red welt a raised mark on the skin where sth has hit/rubbed; weal [P5-L51] toxic (adj) containing poison; poisonous, harmful: highly ~, ~ chemicals/fumes/gases, ~ drug/waste -> toxin (n) poison produced by bacteria in plants/animals [L55] numb deprived of physical sensation or the ability to move: fingers ~ with cold. [L57] necrotic <-necrosis [nəkroʊsɪs] death of a circumscribed portion of animal or plant tissue [L67] anaphylactic reaction <-anaphylaxis [ænəfəlæk sɪs] exaggerated allergic reaction to a foreign protein resulting from previous exposure to it. [L72] wheezing <-wheeze [ʰwiz]to breathe with difficulty and with a whistling sound: Asthma caused him to ~. [P6-L79] watery solution <-such a substance, as dissolved sugar or salt in solution [P60-L80] mast cells type of white blood cells, rich in histamine, play an important protective role in allergies, wound healing, immune tolerance, defense against pathogens, and blood–brain barrier function. [L84] substance a type of solid, liquid or gas that has particular qualities: chemical/radioactive ~ [P7-L94] neutralize <= neutral not supporting, helping, belonging to either side/party/country: politically ~, remain ~, ~ territory/waters - neither acid nor alkaline [L97] immunotherapy [ɪmyənoʊθɛrəpi] treatment designed to produce immunity to a disease or enhance the resistance of the immune system to an active disease process, as cancer. [L98] minimalizing reactions <- minimal of the least possible; minimum or smallest; basic, minimum, nominal: at ~ cost, a ~ amount of risk, damage was ~ <-> maximal [L99] administered on a regular schedule - to manage affairs, a government; have executive charge of: ~ the law -to bring into use or operation: ~ justice - to make application of; give, apply: ~ medicine [L102] tolerate; allow, indulge, permit -> tolerant, tolerance, tolerable - intolerant, intolerable; unacceptable, unbearable [L107] immunotherapy regime - a mode or system of rule or government: a dictatorial ~ -> regimen (Medicine/Medical) a regulated course, as of diet, exercise, or manner of living, intended to preserve or restore health or to attain some result. [P9-L132] 30 degrees north latitude -> 30 degrees west longitude; Tokyo: 36° N, 140° E
- Study Explanation - Par. 6 (L79~93) => Pair [L90] blockage of the passages that deliver air to the lungs
- Par. 7 (L94~106) => Pair
Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
- A. -> Read aloud
1. - a colony of a group of the same type of animal or plant living or growing together, esp in large numbers
- appendage [əpɛndɪdʒ] any organ that projects from the trunk of animals such as arthropods
5. - exotic of foreign origin/character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized/acclimatized: ~ foods, plants.
- straw mites a mite that often occurs in straw and sometimes bites humans, causing an itching dermatitis.
6. exhaust fumes (often pl) smoke, gas, vaporous exhalation that smells or is dangerous.; diesel/gas ~s, toxic ~s
- Corpus contact - to communicate with: We'll ~ you by mail or telephone.
->B. => Pair Have you ever come into contact with ~ ? => I came contact with ~ when …
Vocabulary Activities-Sentence Level
- Word Form Chart
estimate [ɛstɪmeɪt] to form an approximate idea of distance, size, cost, amount ; calculate roughly, guess, predict: cost an ~d one million. The deal is ~ d around …, It is ~d/We ~d that it would cost …,
- (n) [ɛstɪmɪt] : give/make/submit/revise a rough/initial/recent/accurate/reliable/best/ballpark/official/ ~ of sth
-> C. 2. [L2] It is estimated that there are over eighty thousand species of ants in the world.
3. [L37] According to experts, an estimated 30 to 60 percent of the population in ant territory will get stung.
- Word Form Chart
- minimal of the least possible; minimum or smallest; basic, minimum, nominal: at ~ cost, a ~ amount of risk, damage was ~ <-> maximal
- neutralize <= neutral not supporting, helping, belonging to either side/party/country: politically ~, remain ~, ~ territory/waters - neither acid nor alkaline
- sufficient enough for a particular purpose; enough, adequate, satisfactory, will do, acceptable : allow ~ time to …, ~ for sth,
=> Pair - To which subjects did you make a sufficient effort to get good scores? Why?
- To which subjects did you make a minimal effort?
-> D. 3. account for - to give an explanation (for~): to ~ for the accident. - to answer concerning one's conduct, duties, etc. (~ for): to ~ for the missing typewriters. - cause (~ for):The humidity ~s for our discomfort.
5. vector (biology) an insect that carries a particular disease from one living thing to another
(math) a quantity that has both size and direction; acceleration and velocity are both ~s.
7. counteract to act in opposition to, by contrary action; cancel out, correct, neutralize, offset
Special Program Blog CNN-Secret State: A journey into the heart of North Korea (Infographic)