Read and Write Unit 6: Self-Reliance
- A: Listen to the Q-classroom/Web-> Pair C: A, B, C, D, and;
- “Counter-eating Fast Food like Eki-soba, Ramen, Gyu-don/Curry & Rice?
- Ticket Purchasing, Payment, Machine; Loppi/Lawson
- IC Chip Tagged Cafeteria, Self-order Family Restaurant
=> Pair Do you prefer to get help from a person or a machine?
Reading 1: Memo to Restaurant Servers
- Vocabulary: estimate-estimation, interact-interaction, benefit (n) (v)-beneficial
- Skim-> Predict what this memo is about; from who to whom, about what, the structure
- Read-> Main Ideas, Details
=> Outline the Structure of the Text-> Note the function of each paragraph in the textbook
(Par.1) Introduction-> (Par.2) How the Digital Dining works-> (Par.3) Effects of the Change
-> (Par.4) Q&A: (Q.1) Benefits for servers, (Q.2) Benefits for Customers, (Q.3) Other Features
- Blog What do you think? -1 => Identify the benefits and disadvantages of the new monitors for;
Restaurant Servers Customers
2. Interest of the Day: Dining Etiquette For Beginners (1:52)
3. Inside Reading Unit 8 Click or Clique
- [P1-L2] subside to become calmer/quieter; ease off, die down, decrease, decline <-> rise, increase: wait for my anger/the rain ~, the pain/food water gradually ~d -> subsidiary (adj) auxiliary, supplementary, secondary (n) oversea ~ <-> main [L6] produce to bring (sth) into existence, to present to view, to show sth or make sth appear (from/out of somewhere) : ~ evidence, He ~d a gun/an envelope from his pocket (n) produce things produced by farming: farm ~, local ~ [P2-L10] upperclassmen a junior or senior in a high school or college <-> lowerclassman junior, sophomore students [L11] converse [kɒnvɜːs] (adj) reversed; opposite; contrary: the ~ effect, (n) [the ~] something that is opposite or contrary: ~ and the ~ is equally true. [kənˈvɜːs] (v) to have a conversation (with)
[L13] inevitable unavoidable, sure to happen; certain, unavoidable, inevitable, undeniable: an ~ consequence, It is/seems ~ that …, the ~ (n) accept the ~ [L16] so-called millennial generation so-called: used to introduce the word that people usually use to describe sth millennial (adj) <- millennium [L20] domain a field of action, thought, influence, etc.; realm, territory: the ~ of science [P3-L21] residential-life offices [L27,29] diverse having variety; assorted, different, distinct, various; ~ cultures - diversity - diversify [L31] deviate from; different from sth normal or expected; differ, vary, stay away from: ~ from the routine/usual route, the plan - deviation ~ from the norms/plan, sexual ~ -> standard deviation [P4-L39] anonymously-anonymous without any name acknowledged or whose name is withheld as that of author, contributor: an ~ letter/donation/author [L39] passive not participating perceptibly in an activity, organization; inactive: play a ~ role, ~ observer <-> active [L40] spring into investigative action (life) - sprang-sprung to suddenly start working/doing sth: The town sprang into action/life during the festival. [L45] maximize <-> minimize [L52] active account <-> sleeping account [L53] break the ice to make people who have not met before feel more relaxed with each other [P5-L55] fondness ~ for sb/sth: ~ for animals/sweet – fond of sb/sth/-ing: ~ of music/cooking [L58] compatibility – compatible capable of existing or living together in harmony; adaptable, suitable: a ~ married couple, Prejudice is not ~ with true religion. [L61] intervene (in) to become involved in in a situation to improve/solve ; mediate, arbitrate, negotiate: sb ~ in the crisis/dispute. -> intervention: call for government ~ to save …, military ~
[P6-L67] arbitrary subject to individual will/judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion; irrational, unreasonable, irresponsible, inconsistent, subjective, random: an ~ decision.
- decided by a judge or arbiter rather than by a law or statute; (international) court of ~ - arbitration
[L72] guarantee (n) pledge, promise, assurance, insurance, warranty (v) assure, insure, promise, pledge [P7-L78] clause [L84] institute (v) to set up, introduce or start a process; establish, organize, initiate, start: ~ a change, ~ a new government, a new course [L85] explain (sth) to sb [L86] posture attitude towards a particular situation: stance, circumstance, attitude, position: a comfortable ~, upright ~s, aggressive ~ on immigration [P9-L107] I’m more into [L108] girly (girlie) suitable for or like little girls; girlish <-> boyish – boyish [L114] clique [kliːk] a small, exclusive group of friends or associates who don’t allow others to join them. [P10-L126] immature – immaturity <-> mature-maturity