Blog Write a summary of the text in four or five sentences. Do not simply copy the clauses or sentences.
- [P1-L1] rigid area stiff or unyielding; not pliant or flexible; hard; ~ piece of plastic/metal[L10] outer crust the solid outer shell of the earth, with an average thickness of 30–35 km in continental regions and 5 km beneath the oceans - any hard or stiff outer covering or surface, bread; a crust of ice, [L10] dense nucleus [ˈnukliəs, nyu-] a central or fundamental part or thing around which others are grouped; core
[P2-L19] landmass a large continuous area of land, as opposed to seas or islands [L19] catastrophism the doctrine that certain vast geological changes in the earth's history were caused by catastrophes rather than gradual evolutionary processes. [L21] periodically<-periodic happening or recurring/occurring at intervals/cyclse; at fix interval, regularly, intermittent [L22] a revival of science in Europe <= The scientific revolution was the emergence of modern science during 1550-1700, when developments in mathematics, physics, astronomy, biology (inc. human anatomy) and chemistry transformed views of society and nature, which began in Europe towards the end of the Renaissance period, influencing the intellectual social movement known as the Enlightenment, including Isaac Newton's 1687 Principia, that formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation [L24] displace to compel sb to leave home, country, etc. -to move/put out of the usual or proper place; People were ~ed by sth -to take the place of; replace; Fiction displaces fact. [L25] uniformitarianism the concept that the earth's surface was shaped in the past by gradual processes, such as erosion, and by small sudden changes, such as earthquakes, of the type acting today [P3-L42] hump in the South America’s eastern coastline a large lump that stick out above the surface of sth; bump
[P4-L46] gradually evolve to develop gradually; from sth, into sth; The idea ~d from a drawing, The company ~d into a huge enterprise. The species ~d from a single ancestor. - evolution [L57] intermediate stage occurring or situated between two points, extremes, places; in between - class/course/textbook: suitable for learners with some degree of skill or competence [L87] random coincidences lacking any definite plan or prearranged order; a ~ selection/sample, proceed in a ~ order <- numerical, alphabetic - at random; fire ~, chosen ~
[P8-L102] continental drift a driving movement or force; impulse, pressure. - to move aimlessly from place to place or from one activity to another, to wander or move gradually away from a fixed course or point; stray [L103] comprehensive-comprehension-comprehend [L114] integrate to make/be made into a whole; incorporate; (~ into, with sth, ~ A and B; Plan A is ~d with Plan-B. -to designate (a school, park) for use by all races or groups<-> segregate
Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
- A. Predict-> Dic -> Read-> Pair Reading aloud
6. haphazard [hæpˈhæz ərd] lack of order/planning, by irregularity/randomness; aimless, random
integrate to make/be made into a whole; incorporate; (~ into, with sth, ~ A and B; Plan A is ~d with Plan-B. -to designate (a school, park) for use by all races or groups<-> segregate
Vocabulary Activities-Sentence Level
- Word Form Chart Dic accommodate to provide sb with a room, enough space; take in, hold: the hotel ~ s up to …. make/become suitable for; adapt, fit, modify: ~ the needs of minority groups -> accommodating willing to help/do things for others; considerate, helpful, friendly, hospitable: ~ to foreigners. -> accommodation (~s/AmE)
Dic restrain to stop sb/sth from doing sth especially by physical force; ~ sb/sth from sth/-ing; Sb was ~ed by the police. ~ sb from shouting. -> restraint impose ~s on bananas. wage ~.
- E. Read-> Pair Reading aloud
2. Open Forum Chapter 5 Anthropology #1 Interview with an anthropologist
- Preparing for Listening: Read the Description on page 37
- Read Main Ideas/p.36 and More Details/p.37
- 1st Lis-> Main Ideas, More Details, especially 5 and 6.
- 2nd Lis-> More Details-1 thru 4 to understand the four categories of Anthropology=> Pair to check
- Blog Study the Definition of Anthropology by American Anthropological Association
=> Pair Which of the four areas of anthropology are you interested in more than the others? Why?