1. Inside Reading Unit 6 Reading-2 The Minnesota Starvation Experiment
- Read aloud: Par.7-8=>
- Study Words/Expressions - [P1-L4] embark to board a ship/aircraft, to start a new project [L4] grueling exhausting, very tiring or severe [L8] the Allied forces-> ally, alliance [P2-L11] Dic prospect outlook for future, possibility, probability [L13]dim; darkish, gloomy, depressing [L13] serve in the military [L14] conscientious objectors [kɒnʃiˈɛnʃəs] <-conscience governed by or done according to conscience [P3-L25] discrete separate or distinct in form or concept; individual, distinct [L37] substantial; large in amount/value/importance; big, large, considerable, significant; ~ amount of money, a ~ change, ~ numbers of, ~ meal [L44]war-torn severely damaged by a long war, especially between different groups from the same country [L45] turnips, rutabagas <=カブ [P4-54] expend to spend, use up; ~ all efforts on sth -> expendable [P5-L62] distinguish them from [P7-L82] irritable and intolerant<- tolerant: able to accept [L83] keep a journal [L93] introvert a person who retreats mentally, very shy [L98] reduced coordination <-coordinate/p.95 [L104] became an obsession – become obsessed [P8-L107] sunken faces and bellies, protruding ribs (stick out) and swollen legs [ˈswoʊ lən] (enlarged/inflamed)=swelled (swell: become larger) [L114] withdraw -pull back, retire/retreat, -to remove from deposit or investment in a bank [P9-L119] relevant having direct bearing on the matter in hand; related/applicable -> relevance/relevancy [P10-L133] relief workers [L135] deprivation; sleep ~ <- deprive to prevent from possessing or enjoying; [L136] paradigm a pattern or model [L139] Dic alter to make different in some particular, as size, style, course, or the like; modify; ~ a coat/will/course [L140] predictability <- predict to state or make a declaration about in advance; foretell
- Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
A.-> B. Read and Complete the sentences-> Identify the topic of each paragraph-> Pair
=> C. Put the sentences into a logical order. Start with h. -> Pair
D. Dic coordinate
- Vocabulary Activities-Sentence Level
Dic discrete separate or distinct in form or concept; individual, distinct
F. Pair If you were to take part in the experiment, which role would you choose to play? Why?
2. Open Forum Chapter 4 Web: A Conversation with a severe memory problem
- Lis-1-> Answer the Questions
- Lis-2 to Check the Answers and prepare to explain:
=> Com Task-1 Explain Craig Wearing’s problem in 90 seconds-> Q&A for 90 seconds.
=> Com Task-2 Explain what Craig’s wife did and does now in 90 seconds-> Q&A for 90 seconds.
- Lis-3 w/Transcript
=> Com Task-3 Explain the story of Craig Wearing in two minutes. Use examples to explain his symptoms and problems effectively.
=> Com Task-4 What would you do if your husband/wife got the disease and couldn’t remember anything before seven seconds? Answer the question within 90 seconds.