Preview the Unit
Reading 1: Being Polite from Culture to Culture #1
- Preview Do you know any Japanese manner that may not be polite in other cultures?
- Read-1 => Main Ideas, Details<= Underline the word(s) to be looked at in the text to find the answers.
- Skimming the topic, ☆signal words and phrases:=> Study how the travel magazine is structured
- Par.1 Topic: Travelers need to understand the cultural differences in politeness.
- Par.2~7 Examples of Cultural Differences in Politeness: shake hands, eye contact, personal space,
giving gifts, time, body language
- Par.8 Conclusion: important to learn about cultural differences to be polite
- Reading Skill: Identifying Supporting Details-> Read Par.4=> Ex-A, Par.5=> Ex-B, Par.6=> Ex-C
=> What do you think?
Blog Write five to eight sentences in response to one of the questions below.
In your culture, what is the polite or appropriate way to;
- to greet someone - to receive a gift
- to say good by - to show respect to sb - to be polite to sb
Refer to Reading Skill=> Write your response as Main Idea. Explain with examples.
2. Inside Reading Unit 3 Reading-2 ID Fraud
- Study Words/Expressions: [P1-L2] prestigious having a high reputation; honored, esteem, distinguished, prominent, respected: a ~ author/address <- prestige [L12] consequently as a result/consequence, effect, or outcome; therefore - consequent - consequence [L13] fraud [frɔd]; hoax. blackmail, deception, misrepresentation: mail ~, election ~, [P2L18] false identity - false not true or correct; erroneous: a ~ statement/document - falsify-falsification [P2-L23] Dic vulnerable open to attack/temptation, exposed, weak: ~ to attack/illness/abuse/corruption, ~ position/person - vulnerability [P3-L31] scheme course of action, plot, arrangement, plan, system [L33] Dic anonymity <-anonymous [ənɒnəməs] name is unknown/withheld) undisclosed, unidentified; ~ letter, author [L42] serve the same purpose [P4-L56] hologram [hɒləgræm,hoʊlə-] a special type of picture in which the objects look 3D [L57] magnetic stripe [L58] fake (v) ~ a report (n) It’s a ~. (adj) a ~ ID [L60] encode-decode [P5-L68] agent a person who represents an org/group; officer, representative - agency organization, company, bureau [L-69] raid (v) sudden surprise attack, assault: The police ~d the house (n) a police/air ~ [L78] pass on (to sb) (to give wth to sb else) ~ the book on to me when you’ve finished with it. I’ll ~ your message on to sb. [P6-L86] stage to plan/organize/carry out an activity; arrange, orchestrate, organize: ~ a strike/show [L87] life/casualty insurance policy [P8-L113] stay/keep/get ahead of ahead or on target with one's work schedule or responsibilities [P8-L127] Dic valid having some foundation; based on truth: ~ evidence - legally acceptable, effective: a valid license/passport - validity -validation
Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
- A. -> Read aloud
- B. modify-modification-modifiable; ~ the software, ~ ones diet,