1. Kikutan-6K Day 33
2. Inside Reading-3 Unit 7 Reading-2 Summer Fun under Scrutiny
☆What?: A magazine article discusses the physics of safety related to the engineering of thrill rides
- Before You Read: Do you like riding a roller coaster?
- Skim-> Check the title, photos and captions-> Summer Fun under Scrutiny <=what does it mean?
-> Read the 1st and last par, first sentence of each par, number the pars, and circle proper nouns.
Write a one sentence summary of the article.
Thrilling roller coasters attract many riders but there are concerns on their safety and health.
While advanced technology and software make roller coasters more thrilling, there are growing concerns about safety of the operation and health to the riders.
-> What does the title “under Scrutiny” mean?
Dic scrutiny careful and thorough examination; analysis, review, investigation;
-> under scrutiny being watched or examined closely: be ~; have someone or something ~; keep sb/sthg ~.
The new policy has come under close/intense/thorough/detailed/public scrutiny.
The suspect was kept under scrutiny throughout the investigation.
-> scrutinize examine closely; analyze, investigate, inspect, look over, checked out;
The incident/finding was closely/carefully/thoroughly ~d.
- Read-1-> Reading Comprehension: Mark the words (proper nouns) to look for in the text. Correct the false statements. Note the line number of the info.
3. Open Forum-2 Chapter 6 Social Studies #2 Radio Program about Self-employment in the U.S.
- Review Vocabulary and Expressions/p.49-50: benefits, job security, time-off, free-lancer, lay off, self-employed
- Preparing to Listen: Discuss Advantages and Disadvantages. Are you interested in self-employment?
- Lis-1 => Take notes in More Details=> Answer the questions
- Lis-2 => Integrated Speaking Explain who are entrepreneurs, what they do, why they are on the rise and what are the downsides in 90 seconds. Use the two people as examples if you can.
- Working Out Unknown Vocabulary: on the front line, juggle, get out on my own, getting by
- Thinking & Speaking: Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of self-employment
=> Independent Speaking Which work style are you interested in, employed, free-lance or entrepreneur?