Fair trade is an idea to have consumers pay little higher price on the items they purchase to improve the workplaces in poor countries.
- concept an abstract idea or principle; idea, theory, thought: the ~ of social class, a clear ~ of -> conceptual
- generate to produce or bring into being; make, bring about, create (to make sth happen or exist)
- corrupt (adj) guilty of dishonest practices, as bribery; lacking integrity; crooked, dishonest: a ~ judge.
(v) to become or cause to become dishonest or disloyal often by bribe -> corruption
- controversy public dispute, disagreement, disapproval: a ~ over/about the site of the new dumpsite
-> controversial: a highly ~ issue/topic/decision/book
2. Read & Write-2 Unit 10 Global Health
Preview the Unit: [A] What are some things you do to avoid getting sick? => Pair
- [C, D] Match the names of illness: communicable/infectious disease
diabetes [daɪəbitɪs] malaria [məlɛəriə] asthma [æzmə] tuberculosis [tʊbɜrkyəloʊsɪs]
Reading 1: Flu FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Vocabulary: epidemic, symptom, infect-infection-infectious (=communicable), virus
- Read-> Main Ideas, Details -> Blog [A] Venn Diagram
- Reading Skill: Synthesizing Information synthesize: combine, incorporate–> synthesis-syntheses (pl)
=> B.2 Integ. Speech Read the paragraph and answer the question in 90 sec. Include examples/examples.
- Vocabulary/Expressions (par.1) a virus that passes (par.2) fatigue exposure to virus (par.3) respiratory [rɛspərətɔri] runny or stuffy nose (par.4) immunity – immune to sth, ~ from prosecution (par.6) infect-> infection-infectious (par.7) result in sth to have a particular effect/result, to make sth happen: The accident ~ed in 24 deaths. (par.8) vaccine [væksin] vaccinate-vaccination
=> What do you think-2. Some people worry a lot about catching the flu from others, and some people are not very concerned. How concerned are you, on a scale from 1, not concerned at all, and 10, (on a scale of one to ten) extremely concerned? Speak your answer in 90 seconds.
3. Inside Reading-2 Unit 10 Reading- 2 You wouldn’t know it if it bit you
- Preview: Check the title, headings, image/captions-> Predict the topic
- Skim the text: Introduction, first sentence of each paragraph and the last paragraph.
=>Blog Write the main ideas in one sentence.
Bites by small insects are troublesome and could be serious to human bodies because it is not easy to identify the cause and the reactions of the body vary by person.
- Read-1 Highlight, annotate and/or underline the main ideas, key words, issues and facts.
=>Blog Write the main idea of this case study in four to six sentences or n 80 words