The price of coffee is relatively low considering the amount of labor to produce coffee beans. While people enjoy drinking or selling coffee, coffee workers in undeveloped countries work under severe conditions and are paid low wages for their work.
2. Inside Reading-2 Unit 10 Bites and Stings Reading-1 Attack of the Fire Ants
- Review the revised summary by T
- Study Words/Expressions #2
- Study Explanation - Par. 6 (L79~93)
- Par. 7 (L94~106)
Vocabulary Activities-Word Level
- A. 1. - a colony of a group of the same type of animal or plant living or growing together, esp in large numbers
- appendage [əpɛndɪdʒ] any organ that projects from the trunk of animals such as arthropods
5. - exotic of foreign origin/character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized/acclimatized:
~ foods, plants.
- straw mites a mite that often occurs in straw and sometimes bites humans, causing an itching dermatitis.
6. exhaust fumes (often pl) smoke, gas, vaporous exhalation that smells or is dangerous.; diesel/gas ~s, toxic ~s
- Corpus contact - to communicate with: We'll ~ you by mail or telephone.
->B. => Pair Have you ever come into contact with ~ ? => I came contact with ~ when Vocabulary Activities-Sentence Level
- Word Form Chart
estimate [ɛstɪmeɪt] to form an approximate idea of distance, size, cost, amount ; calculate roughly, guess, predict: cost an ~d one million. The deal is ~ d around …, It is ~d/We ~d that it would cost …,
- (n) [ɛstɪmɪt] : give/make/submit/revise a rough/initial/recent/accurate/reliable/best/ballpark/official/ ~ of sth
-> C. 2. [L2] It is estimated that there are over eighty thousand species of ants in the world.
3. [L37] According to experts, an estimated 30 to 60 percent of the population in ant territory will get stung.
- Word Form Chart
- minimal of the least possible; minimum or smallest; basic, minimum, nominal: at ~ cost, a ~ amount of risk, damage was ~ <-> maximal
- neutralize <= neutral not supporting, helping, belonging to either side/party/country: politically ~, remain ~, ~ territory/waters - neither acid nor alkaline
- sufficient enough for a particular purpose; enough, adequate, satisfactory, will do, acceptable : allow ~ time to …, ~ for sth,
=> Pair - To which subjects did you make a sufficient effort to get good scores? Why?
- To which subjects did you make a minimal effort?
-> D. 3. account for - to give an explanation (for~): to ~ for the accident. - to answer concerning one's conduct, duties, etc. (~ for): to ~ for the missing typewriters. - cause (~ for):The humidity ~s for our discomfort.
5. vector (biology) an insect that carries a particular disease from one living thing to another
(math) a quantity that has both size and direction; acceleration and velocity are both ~s.
7. counteract to act in opposition to, by contrary action; cancel out, correct, counterbalance, neutralize, offset
3. Open Forum-2 Chapter 1 Environmental Studies Lecture about City Planning
- Lis #3 w/Script Blog
=> Integ. Speech -1 How did inner city decline?
=> Integ. Speech-2 Explain what smart growth is about.
- Study Voca and Expressions: - vacant buildings ; empty, deserted, uninhabited -> vacancy
- suburban sprawl [sprɔl] to be stretched/spread out in an unnatural or ungraceful manner:; sit, lie, spread out
- diversity the state or fact of being diverse; variety, difference, unlikeness: ~ of opinion. <-diversify
=> Integ. Speech Thinking and Speaking-1,2,3 with your own words in 90 sec.
- Vocabulary: Compound Nouns
=> Ind. Speech Describe your town/city in terms of the listed features in 90 seconds. => Q&A